An occasional look at Wats and other places of worship within the region.
The Church of our Lady of Lourdes was built between 1886 and 1888 by Father Joachim Alexander Marie Meneuvrier and named after the Church of our Lady of Lourdes located in Lourdes, France.
In 1885, the government provided a piece of land, originally a swamp, for the establishment of a church. Bishop Gasnier laid the cornerstone of the building on 1 August 1886, and the building was completed and officially dedicated in May 1888.
In 1974, the church authorities gave up the status of being an Indian Roman Catholic Church and chose to serve Catholics of all ethnicities and languages.
During the Japanese Occupation, two bombs fell on the church grounds, causing substantial damage. Miraculously, however, the church did not suffer any damage. The troops occupied the church until their surrender to the British in 1945.
Our Lady of Lourdes was gazetted as a national monument on 14 January 2005.
Text from http://www.lourdes.sg